Monday, December 20, 2010

Body Balance class

Yesterday I decided to wake up a whole lot earlier and head out to the gym to get a taste of the Body Balance class which started at 7.30am.  My original plan was to be there when the gym opens at 7am and get a half hour treadmill warm up cardio before the class.  I did my best and only got to the gym with enough time to do only 5 minutes of treadmill.


Anyways, the instructor was very attentive and nice.  She noticed that it was my first time to her class and told me to take it easy and work at my own pace.  I liked the fact that she was very encouraging and not at all pushy like an instructor or two that I've had in the past when I tried yoga and pilates.  Her instructions were very clear and she'd even briefed on some of the things about the class like it was a mirror image class whereby when she goes left, we go in the same direction (i.e. our right if she's facing us or left as well when she faces the mirror).

Honestly, I was already considering taking off and leaving half way through the class but persuaded myself to stick with it all the way til the end of the session.  I'm very proud that I did my best and finished the full 1 hour.

THE EXPERIENCE

I haven't done any form of yoga or pilates in maybe 2 years or more and naturally my body has lost some of it's flexibility (and strength).  If you've never tried these types of exercises, it may not look like much and you probably wouldn't expect it to challenge your muscles or make you sweat.  After all, it's just a bunch of slow movements and poses, right?  Let me tell you, if you haven't tried it, give it a go and it'll totally change your perception of the exercise.

Anyways, before I get way off track from my post, there were times when my thigh muscles were practically shaking (more like strongly vibrating) while in warrior pose.  My shoulder and arm muscles were unable to keep my hands up shoulder level.  I continued to do my best to keep up and put my arms down for a few seconds and tried again.  My core and thighs were also experiencing fatigue during some of the exercises.  And yes, I was sweating a lot.

THE AFTERMATH


Now, the day after, I definitely feel some muscle aches.  Especially my thigh muscles.  My shoulder and lower back muscles are also being awaken. Haha. I think my arms aren't feeling it too bad because I've been doing a lot of arm workouts/weights so far. But generally my body does feel tired. Pretty sure with time, as my body gets stronger and gains more flexibility, the exercises will be that much more fun.

TAKE-AWAYS


  • If you're a beginner, don't worry about not being able to perform the poses completely.  There are beginner options for the poses.  Your muscles will be less stiff and elongate naturally over time.
  • Give yourself a chance to at least attempt the exercise as much as you can without passing out.  You might surprise yourself and the feeling once you're done is very gratifying.
  • Take note of your breathing and let it flow with the movements.  Keep your core (abs) tight, shoulders open and pay attention to your posture.
  • Don't overexert yourself if your body isn't ready.  It's dangerous and could cause injuries. Listen to your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment