Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Not Giving Up

Last Tuesday was my first training session after getting back from my vacation.  Needless to say I gained a few while on holiday (as do a lot of people) and the week after I wasn't able to burn off the extra kgs I'd gained in time for my session with the personal trainer.  During the weigh in, I'd gained at least 1kg (more even) and it was a expected on my end but nonetheless disappointing.  Especially since I'd been doing well and had lost 2-3kg before that.

THE WORKOUT

Since I'd not been exercising as much for the past couple of weeks, the trainer had me do some basic routines starting off with (the dreaded) low step box (50 reps/4 sets).  Then were squats with the fitball behind me for back support (25 reps/4 sets).  I'm not sure what the next workout is called but basically I had to stand shoulder-width apart with a mat laid out in front of me and as I inhale, I'd bend down and walk my hands forward then backwards up to standing position again as I exhale (25 reps/3-4 sets).  An exercise I did rather quickly (to my and my trainer's surprise) was the one where I had to stand with one feet in front and another stretched to the back and then I had to jump and switch leg positions (25 reps/4 sets).  Next, I was instructed to do crunches with my feet supported by a fitball (25reps/4 sets).  Last but not least, before cooling down, I did the plank and held position for 25 counts (3 sets).

HOW I FELT


Needless to say I was panting my way through the sets.  My trainer checked my pulse and made sure I had sufficient rest in between sets.  However, I have noticed a better endurance level compared to when I first started out.  My breathing has improved quite a bit but my heart still pounds especially with the step box.  With the squats, I must admit it was a bit of a struggle considering they were still sore from Body Balance class the day before but the fitball definitely helped.  I would have strained my back otherwise.  As for the exercise that followed, I'm still not doing very well with having my stomach above my head level.  Being inverted makes me dizzy and nauseous.  Also, I should've tied my shoes to fit my feet a bit more snug (it was comfortably loose) to keep my feet from moving around in my shoes.  The hop-switch (yes, I don't know what it's called so I'm naming it) I managed to do pretty quickly which was a relief.  Again, since it was a cardio workout, I was short of breath towards my last set and my heart was beating so fast!  My abs were had begun to cram up by the 3rd set and I had to pull every strand of strength I could to get through the rest of the reps for the 3rd and 4th sets.  Right after that was the plank and I was so close to crying.  First set I could only hold for 10 counts.  The subsequent sets I held it together and managed to get through 20-25 reps. At the end of all that, I could barely speak and was lying flat down on the mat regaining my breath and strength to get up. (haha)

TAKEAWAYS


  • Always be careful when doing step box exercises. If you can't go as quickly as you'd like, don't rush it. You could slip and sprain your feet.
  • Be aware of your breathing. Check with your trainer on the correct breathing technique for each workout.
  • A fitball makes for excellent support for your workouts especially if you're just beginning and your muscles aren't strong enough to fully support your body weight.
  • Wearing correct shoes for indoor training is very important and makes a lot of difference. Trainers (shoes) are designed specifically with indoor workouts in mind and therefore provides adequate support and cushioning to avoid injuries and make working out more comfortable.
  • Let your trainer know if you need a few extra seconds or a minute longer to rest before continuing with the next sets. You don't want to pass out in the middle of your workout.

1 comment: