Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gastric & Inconsistency

Looks like my journey has been hitting some speed bumps lately.  Between squeezing time for gym, getting proper rest and eating right, I've been struggling with keeping at my fitness, health and weight loss goals.  Losing weight and increasing fitness levels isn't an easy task to take on.  It takes a lot of effort and focus and more often than not, I tend to stray.  Regardless of all the hitches, I still intend to keep working at it until my target is finally achieved.  It's taking longer than I expected but I have to keep at it for as long as it takes.

For me, when I'm working I tend to ignore my hunger pangs and just go ahead and finish as much of my work as I can.  For someone with a sensitive stomach, that's not the best move to go by.  My office isn't near any eateries and with my kind of gastric problems, I need to eat every 2-3 hours.  When I work, even lunch hours gets pushed to 3 or 4pm (if at all).  Again, not the best thing to do.

Lately, the acidity of my stomach has been pretty high and it scares me.  Certain days, I can feel the fumes up my esophagus and not only is it uncomfortable, it makes me feel sick.  I'd feel like throwing up but can't.  This is especially difficult for me when I have my training sessions with my personal trainer.  Weight training truly engages a lot of muscle area in your body and workouts that require a lot of lower back and core muscle coordination induces dizziness and gastric for me.  I'll have to take breaks between reps (yes, reps and not just sets) to catch my balance and make sure I don't end up fainted on the gym floor.  Fortunately my personal trainer is understanding of my condition and finds ways that I can workout while keeping those issues at bay.  The squat-shoulder press (free weights) combo is one of those workouts that triggers my gastric.  Not sure why really.  With several sessions I'd had to rush to the ladies because I felt like throwing up.

Apart from that, my personal trainer keeps pushing me to "raise my heart rate" which to me is kinda ironic cos my heart rate is pretty much real high during our sessions.  I have to regain my composure to avoid passing out.  Haha.  But it's all good.  I find that it's what they do.  Push you to places you probably wouldn't dare to push yourself to.  Plus, he'll support you when you've reached your limit.

Since starting this journey, I honestly haven't been able to go to the gym consistently.  Sometimes I'm just too maxed out for the day and sometimes it's cos I'm travelling.  Yes, I do enjoy travelling and for me, travelling in itself is a workout cos I'll be moving around non-stop every single day.  Haha.  That aside, it also means I would have to miss my personal training (PT) sessions.  Plus side?  I still have more sessions for when I get back.  Haha.

Okies.  Til next time.  Keep gyming and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment