Sunday, November 28, 2010

Time and Breaks

Now that all that excitement of starting to go to the gym has died down, I've had to work extra hard at motivating myself to be more gym active.  I know, it's a little too early for me to start getting my motivation all torn down.

Anyways, I was away with family over the weekend last week and missed my Saturday training session.  Then there were a series of back to back family dinners/mini gathering from Monday through Wednesday which I've learnt from past experiences isn't the best time to rush to the gym considering the food hadn't had enough time to settle (my trainer says 2 hours prior to workout is ideal eating time).  On top of that, the rest of the family came back from the holiday on Tuesday night (and would you know, their flight was delayed too) and so Tuesday workout was a no go.  Was pretty pumped to go for the Thursday session but alas, during my work trip to Ranau early that day, my gastric kicked in almost full blast and my brother suggested that we cancelled that night since I wasn't well.  Finally managed to hit the gym yesterday (i.e. Saturday) and although I was given a target of 1000kcal it was quite frustrating to me to only managed to hit 20% of that target.

Yeap.  Working out to lose weight is definitely a tough business.  Finding time to go to the gym and work on achieving that goal is definitely a bit of a struggle for me.  I do try to work up a sweat while at home if I can't make it to the gym as much as I can.  I'd walk on the treadmill for 30mins or work with weights or even do the steps exercise at the stairs.

All that said, I'm still determined to do this.  I am pretty bummed that I've been missing a lot of my PT sessions.  And I'll be missing a few more week after next cos I'll be away again on vacation for my birthday.  Plus, I feel bad that I've had to cancel with my trainer.

Having been on this journey so far, the idea of working out has also changed my perception towards food. Every morsel seems to get more scrutiny and almost always equated with the time needed to burn off the calories consumed.  For instance, a McChicken burger is approximately 300++kcal which means at the rate I'm going, I'll need to spend 30-45mins on the treadmill/elliptical to burn off the same amount.  Was chatting up a couple of my friends recently during a good friend's wedding and they were saying the same thing.  It's really frustrating to think that it takes so much effort to work off those calories.  We were discussing how incredibly frustrating it was to look at the progress level indicator on the machines (treadmill/elliptical) move so slowly despite how hard we were working ourselves.

My brother and I have also noticed that we tend to sweat a whole lot more while doing our work outs lately compared to before we were gym active.  I asked Kadazan Bonita if this was normal and she mentioned that she was noticing the same thing too.  So guys, it's perfectly normal.  I may be wrong but I think that since your body is now introduced to exercise, your metabolic rate also increases which generates more heat when you work out.  I think that makes sense.

Here's another thing that I've noticed.  Personally, I prefer watching a TV show or movie or something when on the treadmill or elliptical as opposed to just listening to music.  I find that time passes by a lot faster that way.  So I might just put in a movie or TV show or two on my phone to keep my mind occupied.  With music, I need to keep my eyes closed to really tune out my heavy limbs struggling with the workout.  Not really the best way to go especially on the treadmill cos the next thing you know you've been bumped off the machine.  Haha.  It helps that the gym's treadmill has an in-built TV.  :)  I'm usually tuned in to MTV unless the show that was on at the time was not interesting then I'd be on the news.  At home, the treadmill pretty much faces the TV so that's good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment